Wednesday 12 January 2011

Love Poems: A Rant

It’s not that I dislike love poems. A good one can be very beautiful and thought provoking. However, when a poem simply consists of re-used ideas and cliché verses, I do. I don’t really care if you want to write something like that. I don’t have to read it. Yet I love to rant. So fuck it.

I find it rather shallow when a poem consists mainly of a description of a person. I understand love is simply an infatuation bordering on obsession for another person or thing and that just makes you want to think about what you love about that person (forgetting their flaws.). But when it’s merely physical properties and character traits, written down with the use of a thesaurus and the overuse of similes. Bleh*.

I don’t think love poems should ever be about the person you love. More of the affect that person has on you. I think all poems are extremely personal and written by rather self centred people who just like to write down what they think and hope to hell someone else likes it to achieve the gratification they did not receive for the early part of their lives.

I respect deeply, anyone who wishes to flex creativity, there should be more of it. Be free to write whatever the fuck you feel like and never ever listen to me. I just couldn’t sleep and felt like a rant. I tried to write a love poem once. It went like this:

I love you more than
A hobo loves a warm bed
If you died
It would take me a good
Year and a half
To get over it

*”Bleh” Is a word. Look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment